1. Position description
The Department of Mechanical Engineering (DEM) of Instituto Superior Técnico (IST/ULisboa) is carrying out an open search for candidates for a position as PhD student and Invited Teaching Assistant ("Assistente Convidado a 59%").
This open search is targeted at possible candidates who have an interest in pursuing a PhD at IST funded by a part-time teaching position. We offer a one-year (14 months) contract extendable for up to four years depending on performance. This contract has a planned starting date of September 1, 2023, but a later starting date might also be possible.
As a PhD student, you will develop research as part of one of a PhD supervised by a DEM Professor. As Invited Teaching Assistant at DEM, you will have the chance to teach BA and MSc degrees (equivalent to 4h to 6h per week).
Both research and teaching duties can be associated with any of the scientific areas of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, namely:
- Environment and Energy
- Control, Automation, Robotics and Industrial Artificial Intelligence
- Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Applied Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering
- Structural and Computational Mechanics
- Mechanical Design and Engineering Materials
- Manufacturing and Industrial Management
- Thermofluids and Energy Conversion Technologies
2. Key selection criteria
- Background in Mechanical Engineering or related areas.
- Research experience
- Teaching skills
It is not mandatory to be fluent in Portuguese. However, non-native Portuguese speakers should achieve an active and passive command of Portuguese as fast as possible to teach BSc courses. All MSc-level courses can be taught in English.
Important: All candidates should be accepted in an IST PhD program by the contract's start. For further information, please get in touch with the Postgraduate Area of IST or the coordinators of the PhD programs.
3. How to apply?
We look forward to receiving your application at your earliest convenience, but no later than July 21st, 2023. Candidates should send to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org a single zip file containing the following materials:
- a letter of motivation, including your primary areas of interest to be addressed during your PhD;
- a curriculum vitae, including research experience and teaching track record;
- two reference letters.
It is not mandatory to have a PhD supervisor at the time of your application. However, please include a letter from your supervisor(s) whenever possible. You must have an Engineering Master degree to apply.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or do you want to know more about our department or our PhD programs? Please contact us at email@example.com.